Sequoia Prosthetics & Orthotics was started in 2003 in Visalia, California as a means of providing a superior prosthetic and orthotic facility for the central San Joaquin Valley. Actually, I, Tom Cutler, CPO, FAAOP, was working for a very large practice and was told that I was being sent to take over a satellite office on the outskirts of Los Angeles.
After having spent fifteen years fighting traffic and congestion in Los Angeles, I found that Tulare and Kings Counties were just the right size for me and my young family.
- We started the practice with the intent on planning a typical practice like the other ones that I had worked in over the years.
- We realized that just because others have built businesses in a particular fashion doesn’t mean that we necessarily have to follow suit.
- We place a premium on quality of life and long term results.
- We adopted an open "therapy gym" feel for our primary patient area (as it provides more room for walking) in addition to private fitting rooms. This provides better feedback on fit and function.
- We have flexible and unique fitting and limb preparation protocols that accelerate the maturation process so that the shape and sensitivity of the limb is better when the limb is ready for the first prosthesis.
- In 2008, we opened the first prosthetic facility in Kings County, providing an office in Hanford as a convenient option for people with limb loss. No one knows our next step at this point, but the majority of our input and the greatest sway in our plans comes from our patients.